#Pontiets

Pontyates surgery gets temporary lifeline as health board delays final decision

Hywel Dda confirmed today that it will not immediately adopt a recommendation from its Vacant Practice Panel to close the Pontyates site and disperse all 4,350 patients to neighbouring practices. Instead, the Board said it will “hear the views of patients and the local community” before making a final decision in May.

The recommendation to close the surgery was first set out by the Vacant Practice Panel, which Hywel Dda convened in October 2025 “in line with national guidance” to review long‑term options for Meddygfa’r Sarn. According to the health board, the panel examined continued health board management, mergers with neighbouring practices, procuring a new provider, and managed dispersal. Hywel Dda said the panel concluded that dispersal “offered the most sustainable long‑term solution”.

The Board discussed that recommendation at its meeting on Thursday but agreed to pause the process and begin an eight‑week engagement period from Monday 9 February to Monday 6 April. Hywel Dda said the purpose is to understand “the potential impacts” of the proposal and what support may be needed if the closure goes ahead.

Andrew Carruthers, Chief Operating Officer at Hywel Dda University Health Board, said the Board had a duty to ensure patients could access “safe, high‑quality and sustainable GP services”.

“We recognise that this recommendation may mean significant change for patients and communities, which is why it is essential that we take the time to listen before making a final decision,” he said. “The engagement period will allow people to share their views, ask questions, and help inform the Board’s decision in May.”

Hywel Dda said no changes will take place during the engagement period and stressed that Meddygfa’r Sarn “will continue as normal”. The health board also thanked the community for the support shown to staff during what it described as “a period of change”.

The health board said patients, staff and stakeholders will be able to attend public drop‑in events during the engagement period, with dates to be announced shortly. Patients will also receive letters explaining how to take part, and a survey will be available online and in paper form from 9 February.

Meddygfa’r Sarn has been directly managed by Hywel Dda since 2017, after the former GP partners resigned their contract. The health board said the practice has faced “ongoing and significant staffing challenges” and currently has no permanently employed GPs. It also described the Pontyates building as “small” with “limited facilities”.

If the panel’s recommendation is ultimately approved, Hywel Dda said patients would be transferred to the nearest suitable practice, including Coalbrook Surgery in Pontyberem, Meddygfa Minafon in Kidwelly, and for some patients, practices in Llanelli.

The announcement follows months of public pressure, with councillors and residents previously warning that closing the Pontyates site would be a “massive blow” to the village and surrounding communities.

Hywel Dda said further information about the engagement process will be shared in the coming days.

Related stories from Swansea Bay News

Councillors demand halt to Pontyates GP surgery closure plans as pressure mounts on Hywel Dda
Local representatives urged the health board to pause its proposals, warning of serious consequences for the community.

Community backlash grows as residents warn closure of Pontyates GP surgery would be a ‘massive blow’
Residents voiced fears over losing vital local healthcare and the impact on vulnerable patients.

Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt as health board considers dispersing all 4,300 patients
Hywel Dda first confirmed it was reviewing long‑term options for Meddygfa’r Sarn amid staffing challenges.

#doctorsSurgery #GPSurgery #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #MeddygfaRSarn #Pontiets #Pontyates
Street‑view image showing the front entrance of Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates.

Councillors demand halt to Pontyates GP surgery closure plans as pressure mounts on Hywel Dda

The intervention comes just five days after Swansea Bay News first revealed the surgery’s future was in doubt on 22 January, sparking immediate concern among residents and community leaders.

In a letter sent yesterday to the Chair and Chief Executive of Hywel Dda, Pontyates councillors Alex Evans, Tyssul Evans and Meinir James set out a series of objections to the proposal, which is due to go out to public consultation on 9 February.

They say the health board appears to have a “preferred option” of closure before the consultation has even begun, and warn that the impact on patients has not been properly assessed.

The councillors argue that forcing thousands of patients to register elsewhere would pile pressure onto already overstretched practices in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and surrounding communities. For many residents — particularly older people, disabled patients, carers and those without cars — reaching alternative surgeries would require taking two buses.

They have asked the health board to confirm whether an Equality Impact Assessment and Health Impact Assessment have been completed and published, and say no consultation should begin until this work is done.

The letter also calls for a pause to the process and “meaningful engagement” with the community on alternatives to closure. A written response has been requested as a matter of urgency.

Llanelli MP Dame Nia Griffith said she “very much shares patients’ concerns” and has asked health board bosses to attend a public meeting with residents as part of the consultation.

The fight to save the surgery comes as Pontyates faces another major battle over local services. Earlier this month, villagers secured a temporary stay of closure for Pontyates Primary School, but parents warned the reprieve was only the start of a longer campaign.

Residents say losing both the school and the GP surgery would hollow out the village and leave families without essential services.

With the consultation on Meddygfa’r Sarn due to open in early February, campaigners say the next few weeks will be crucial for the future of healthcare in the Gwendraeth Valley.

Related stories from Swansea Bay News

Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt as health board considers dispersing all 4,300 patients
Initial report revealing the threat to Meddygfa’r Sarn and the scale of the impact on local healthcare.

Community backlash grows as residents warn closure of Pontyates GP surgery would be a ‘massive blow’
Residents speak out as fears rise over losing the village’s only GP practice.

Pontyates villagers vow to continue fight to save school
The community secures a temporary stay of closure for the primary school but warns the battle isn’t over.

#CllrAlexEvans #CllrMeinirJames #CllrTyssulEvans #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #MeddygfaRSarn #NiaGriffithMP #Pontiets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery #YsgolPontiets
Street‑view image showing the front entrance of Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates.

Community backlash grows as residents warn closure of Pontyates GP surgery would be “a massive blow”

The outcry follows Swansea Bay News’ report that Hywel Dda University Health Board is considering dispersing all 4,300 patients from Meddygfa’r Sarn to neighbouring practices from June 2026. Local councillors said they were “shocked” to learn of the proposal and had received no prior warning.

Councillors say they were blindsided by the announcement

Cllr Tyssul Evans and Cllr Meinir James, who both represent Llangyndeyrn Ward, and Cllr Alex Evans, who represents Glyn Ward, said they only discovered the proposal when the health board’s press release appeared on Facebook.

Cllr Tyssul Evans, Cllr Meinir James (Llangyndeyrn Ward) and Cllr Alex Evans (Glyn Ward) said:

“We were shocked to learn yesterday, via a press release shared on Facebook, of Hywel Dda University Health Board’s plans to consider closing Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates. We had no prior knowledge that the surgery was even at risk of closing and we fully appreciate the anxiety and concern this announcement will have caused for patients and residents.

“We understand the real concerns about how patients would be able to access GP care if the 4,300 patients registered in Pontyates were transferred to other surgeries in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and Llanelli. There is no direct bus route to Pontyberem for many patients registered at Meddygfa’r Sarn and there is no direct bus for anyone to Kidwelly. We also appreciate the potential knock‑on effect this could have on other local services in the village, including the chemist.

“We want to reassure everyone that we will do everything we can to save the surgery in Pontyates from closing. We will be launching a petition and outlining the further actions we propose to take in support of a campaign to save Meddygfa’r Sarn next week. We will be sure to keep you all fully updated as these details are finalised.”

Residents say closure would leave thousands cut off

Dozens of residents have now taken to social media to condemn the potential closure, describing the surgery as a lifeline for Pontyates and surrounding villages.

Many warned that neighbouring practices in Pontyberem, Kidwelly and Llanelli are already overstretched, with long waits for appointments and limited capacity.

Phillip Griffiths said the plan “makes no sense”, arguing that Pontyates Surgery is centrally located, has good parking and sits next to the village chemist. Others raised fears that the chemist itself could be at risk if the GP service disappears.

Kaye Hamer said many residents simply had no way of travelling to other surgeries. Jo Clarke warned the move would hit older patients hardest, saying it was “wrong” to expect people who have lived in the village all their lives to travel miles for care.

Lorraine Edwards said the proposal came “just when you think healthcare couldn’t get any worse”, while Andrew Williams said neighbouring practices already rely heavily on locum doctors, making continuity of care difficult.

Front view of Meddygfa’r Sarn in Pontyates, the GP surgery at the centre of proposals to disperse its patient list. Image: Google Maps.

Concerns over transport, capacity and impact on elderly patients

Residents repeatedly highlighted the lack of direct bus routes to Pontyberem and Kidwelly, with some journeys requiring multiple changes and taking hours.

Julie Harry said public transport was “absolutely non‑existent”, while Andrea Gower questioned how the health board expected patients to travel at all. She also disputed claims the site sits on a flood plain, saying she had “never seen the place flooded”.

Others warned the closure would be a “massive blow” to the village, particularly for elderly and vulnerable residents.

Lisa Evans‑James said her 93‑year‑old grandmother had relied on the surgery for decades and could not travel further afield. She said the practice offered continuity, familiarity and reassurance that could not be replaced by dispersing patients across multiple towns.

“This surgery isn’t just a building – it’s familiar faces, continuity of care, and reassurance,” she said. “To the health board we may just be numbers on a list, but behind every number is a person, a family, and a real need for accessible care.”

Petition launched as anger builds

A petition launched by local resident Clare Treharne has gathered more than 500 signatures in less than 24 hours. She warned that dispersing patients would mean longer travel distances, reduced continuity of care and increased pressure on already overstretched practices.

The petition calls on Hywel Dda to reject the proposal, consult properly with residents and commit to keeping GP services in Pontyates.

Health board urged to rethink

Many residents accused the health board of failing to understand the geography of the area or the realities of rural transport.

Helen Thomas said Pontyberem Surgery “can’t cope as it is”, while Ryan Hayhurst described the proposal as “outrageous”. Others warned the move would push more patients into already overstretched A&E departments.

Caroline Owens Green said the community “can’t sit back and let the health board push this through”, while Kerry Jane Hards said life would be “desperate” without the surgery.

Hywel Dda University Health Board has said no final decision has been made and that it will consider feedback before any recommendation is taken forward.

Related stories from Swansea Bay News

Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt
Health board confirms it is considering dispersing all 4,300 patients to neighbouring practices.

Petition: Save Meddygfa’r Sarn GP Surgery
More than 500 people sign within 24 hours as residents rally to protect local healthcare.

#CllrAlexEvans #CllrMeinirJames #CllrTyssulEvans #GP #GPSurgery #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #Llangyndeyrn #MeddygfaRSarn #petition #Pontiets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery
AI-generated image of a female GP doctor talking to a patient in a local surgeryStreet‑view image showing the front entrance of Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates.

Future of Pontyates GP surgery in doubt as health board considers dispersing all 4,300 patients

A report going before the Board on Thursday 29 January recommends that the surgery’s entire patient list should be broken up and transferred elsewhere from 30 June 2026, ending almost a decade of the health board running the practice.

If approved, thousands of people in Pontyates would be automatically moved to other surgeries based on where they live, with most expected to be sent to Coalbrook Surgery in Pontyberem, Meddygfa Minafon in Kidwelly, or practices in Llanelli.

A surgery too small, too cramped — and sitting in a flood zone

The Board paper paints a stark picture of the Pontyates building. It describes a surgery that is simply too small for the number of patients it serves, with every room already in use and no space to expand. Staff have no proper break room, often relying on borrowed space elsewhere in the village.

The building sits at the bottom of the valley, in an area officially classed as a Natural Resources Wales flood zone. The car park and surrounding land have flooded before, leaving the surgery cut off, with staff unable to get in or out.

A recent Health & Safety inspection found exposed pipework, inadequate electrical points, missing downpipes, and no emergency lighting outside. The lease on the building runs out in October 2026, adding further pressure to find a long‑term solution.

No permanent GPs and rising costs

The report confirms that Meddygfa’r Sarn has no permanent doctors at all. The practice is now entirely dependent on locums, with the health board struggling to attract salaried GPs despite repeated attempts.

Running the surgery costs more than £1 million a year, with almost half of that spent on locum GP sessions alone. The panel reviewing the practice’s future said this level of reliance on temporary doctors is not sustainable and does not provide the continuity of care patients deserve.

What it means for people in Pontyates

For local residents, the impact could be significant. The nearest alternative practice, Coalbrook Surgery in Pontyberem, is three miles away, and public transport is limited, with only eight buses a day between the two villages. Some patients may have to travel even further, to Kidwelly or Llanelli, depending on their postcode.

Older patients, those without cars, and families juggling work and childcare could face longer journeys for appointments and reduced access to care if the dispersal goes ahead.

Why the panel wants dispersal

A Vacant Practice Panel met in October 2025 to examine four options: keeping Sarn as a standalone practice, merging it with Meddygfa Minafon, finding a new provider, or dispersing the patient list.

The panel ruled out keeping the surgery open, saying the combination of premises issues, workforce shortages, and rising costs made it unviable. A merger with Minafon would create a huge 13,000‑patient practice spread across multiple sites, which the panel felt would bring its own problems. Procuring a new provider was considered too risky and unlikely to solve the building issues.

Dispersal emerged as the only option the panel believed could guarantee long‑term stability for patients. Coalbrook Surgery has already told the health board it is keen to grow its list, which strengthened the case for transferring patients there.

“We have a duty to ensure safe and sustainable care”

Andrew Carruthers, Chief Operating Officer at Hywel Dda, said the Board would give the recommendation careful consideration.

He said Meddygfa’r Sarn had struggled to provide the continuity of care the health board wanted for patients, and that dispersal may be the best way to ensure people in the area receive reliable, high‑quality GP services.

Andrew Carruthers, said:

As a health board we have a duty to ensure safe, sustainable and high-quality delivery of General Medical Services for our population. 

“Meddygfa’r Sarn is a small and rural practice and has struggled to provide the level of continuity of care and services we would like for our patients. The panel felt that dispersing the patient list is the best way forward to ensure that patients have access to the best possible care and the Board will give careful consideration to this recommendation.

“If the recommendation of the Vacant Practice Panel is approved, the health board is committed to engaging with patients, staff, local communities and stakeholders before any changes are implemented to understand how the change could impact them and consider any mitigations needed.”

If the Board approves the recommendation, the health board says it will carry out full engagement with patients, staff and the local community before any changes are made.

No final decision yet

The Board will discuss the proposal on 29 January, with a seven‑week public engagement period planned if the recommendation is approved.

For now, the future of Pontyates’ only GP surgery remains uncertain — and thousands of local patients face the possibility of being moved to new practices by the summer.

More health stories from Swansea Bay News

Norovirus forces ward closures at Llanelli’s Prince Philip Hospital
Several wards have been shut as the winter vomiting bug spreads across the region.

Llanelli’s Minor Injuries Unit to become 12‑hour urgent care centre
Health bosses confirm there will be no return to a 24‑hour service.

Hywel Dda to explore more than 100 new ideas for local health services
The health board begins assessing proposals aimed at reshaping care across West Wales.

Calls grow for urgent investment in West Wales hospitals
Politicians and campaigners warn delays to a new hospital plan will hit patient care.

#CoalbrookSurgery #featured #HywelDdaUniversityHealthBoard #MeddygfaRSarn #Pontiets #Pontyates #PontyatesDoctorsSurgery #Pontyberem
Street‑view image showing the front entrance of Meddygfa’r Sarn GP surgery in Pontyates.

Client Info

Server: https://mastodon.social
Version: 2025.07
Repository: https://github.com/cyevgeniy/lmst